7.09.2006

La Corona de la Iglesia

This is the crown or "corona" that tops the beautiful and historical Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the old quarter of Puerto Vallarta. I wanted a silhouetted shot of the crown with the red hued sunset and ocean as a backdrop. This turned out to be far more of a logistical challenge than an artistic one. I walked up the steep cobblestone road to get behind the church and did my best to explain to the locals what I had in mind. After about thirty minutes of entertaining the locals with my attempts at Spanish and futilely looking for a clear view, I was beginning to think there was a good reason why I hadn't seen this image on any postcards. Finally, a local family understood what I was out for and introduced me to their neighbor, whom they said had the best view of the church in town. He ended up inviting me up to his rooftop where I took a few frames, drank a few cervezas and enjoyed some great, if not broken conversation with a local family. Once again, my camera opens doors that no key ever could! It is this symbiotic relationship between travel and photography that stirs my passion for this career.

No comments: